Do you need planning permission for a garden studio?
Information about planning permission for a garden studio or garden office in Kent
The answer to wether or not a garden studio or garden office requires planning is usually a no. Ark Design & Build have acquired over 80 five star reviews via Trustpilot and Google, we take pride in our work, creating beautifully bespoke garden studios and annexes with and without planning.
The main criteria for a permitted development studio is a property with all permitted development rights in place, the below are the main factors:
- The build must be 2.5 meters tall or less if situated within 2 meters of a boundary
- The studio can be 3 meters tall falling to 2.5 meters if over 2 meters from a boundary for a flat roof (pent) design
- A pitched roof studio can be 4 meters falling to 2.5 meters at the eaves if 2 meters from a boundary
- No build can have an internal space of over 30sqm
- Any studio over 15sqm must be made with appropriate fire safety measures in place for its construction if within 1m form a boundary
- A maximum of 50% of the land around the property can be made up of outbuildings
- No studio can be closer to the public road than the main house itself
- No building can be used as permanent self contained accommodation or have any kind of antenna or private entrance
Properties that may not have permitted development rights as standard:
Certain homes do not have standard permitted development rights and these include the below
- Listed buildings will always require planning permission
- Flats or maisonettes with a garden will require planning permission for a studio
- AONB – areas of outstanding natural beauty have certain restrictions in place for permitted development rights. If the studio is to be placed 20m or more away from the main property, then no studio can be over 10sqm under permitted development. No studio can be placed to the side of the main property
- This also applies to all designated land which includes world heritage sites, the broads and national parks
- Conservation areas have a slightly different rule. As the only restriction they carry (other than standard permitted development rules) are that no studio can be placed to the side of the main property either
Habitable spaces will always require planning permission and will have to be built to full building control sign off unless they are built using the caravans act in which case a certificate of lawful development would be required.
Caravans act spaces have a certain set of rules they must follow which include, being demountable and removable on a road worthy vehicle (in maximum of two sections)
It’s maximum size are a generous 20m long, 6.8m wide and 3.05m tall
The good news is Ark Design Build can offer a full planning application service for any of the above at a hugely competitive rate of £650 plus vat. This is for a complete service and includes:
- All local authority fees
- All maps and plans required
- Full set of scale drawings
- Complete liaising service with the local authority
- We have completed numerous successful planning applications for clients in Tunbridge wells, Tonbridge, Sevenoaks, Crowborough and Maidstone to name a few. Our studios have been built across Kent and Sussex ranging from 2sqm writing rooms up to 2 bedroom habitable annexes with bathrooms and kitchens.
Contact us today and see why we have over 80 five star reviews from local clients across both Google and Trustpilot.